The Higher Education Development Unit (HEDU) was established in 2008 to facilitate institutional strengthening initiatives across the Barbados Community College (BCC), Samuel Jackman Prescod Polytechnic (SJPP) and Erdiston Teachers’ Training College (ETTC). The need for these institutions to be constantly strengthening their systems is now more crucial as higher education is changing at such a rapid pace.
HEDU is intended to work alongside the three institutions to provide support especially when a common shared service solution can be implemented and economies of scale realised.
Where necessary reform is in progress the HEDU will ensure that this is done in keeping with the policies and vision of the Ministry of Education & Human Resource Development which is to:
- ensure equitable access to quality education for all our citizens so that their potential is fully realised; and
- assist in the development of responsible citizens who are disciplined, industrious, creative and confident and who can function effectively in a modern society.
The HEDU mandate, values and vision fit carefully within the ambit of the larger stated goals and objectives of this Ministry.
The HEDU was given a mandate to provide developmental advocacy on behalf of BCC, ETTC, and SJPP, with a view to:
- assist the institutions in their alignment with international best practices;
- ensure that the Ministry’s objectives for higher education are being realised across the three institutions;
- function as the Ministry’s oversight unit relative to the execution of the annual programme of the three institutions;
- facilitate expansion relative to increasing access to students currently denied admission;
- facilitate overall programme growth across the three institutions;
- facilitate the expansion of the ICT capability across the three institutions; and
- collaborate with the institutions to develop growth strategies and set clear development targets.
By 2013, we will facilitate the achievement of full accreditation by BCC, SJPP, and ETTC while working to build competitive programme offerings, facilitate greater student success and increase student access.
- Our daily activities should increase public sector value
- We embrace credibility, integrity, transparency and accountability
- We are committed to creativity and innovation
- We foster a culture of professionalism